[ˈpè̝tə́ɾ ˈjúɾɡə̀ts]Department of Linguistics
University of Toronto
100 St. George St.
Canada M5S 3G3
I am an Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto. My research interests fall within theoretical phonology. I am particularly interested in feature theory, assimilation, loanwords, tone, Optimality Theory, Harmonic Serialism, and Slavic languages.
The most convenient way to reach me is by email at email@example.com
- I have accepted a tenure-stream position of Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto Department of Linguistics, beginning in January 2014. Read about it on the department blog.
- I will teach at this year's EGG Summer School [July 29–August 9].
- On August 15, I will present Opaque interactions in Šmartno Slovenian at the University of Toronto Summer Phonetics/Phonology Workshop (with Tina Razboršek).
- I presented Lapsed Derivations: Ternary Stress in Harmonic Serialism at the Manchester Phonology Meeting (with Francesc Torres Tamarit). [Email me for the manuscript.]
- My paper Two types of parasitic assimilation appeared in the current issue of Nordlyd.
- My review of Rachel Walker's Vowel Patterns in Language appeared in the Fall 2012 issue of Phonology.
- In May, I gave two lectures at the University of Ljubljana. On May 23, I talked about loanwords and phonological theory. On May 29, I presented my work on morphologically conditioned allomorphy in Slovenian.
- On March 4, 2013, I presented my current project, The Phonology of Slovenian, in the Linguistic Circle at the University of Ljubljana.
- I have been awarded a Rubicon grant by The Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO). I just started working on the project The Phonology of Slovenian at the Leiden University Centre for Linguistics. Read about it here, here, and here. The project page is available here.
- On October 25, 2012, I presented Licensed Alignment at the University of Chicago.
- On October 19, 2012, I presented Morphology Affects Loanword Phonology at the 43rd Annual Meeting of the North East Linguistic Society (NELS), which is organized by the City University of New York (CUNY).
- On September 12, 2012, I presented my work at the CASTL Decennium Event in Tromsø.
- On September 8, 2012, I gave a talk at the 2012 Morphology Meeting at Leiden University.
- I coorganized (with Marko Simonović) the workshop Loanwords as Evidence in Formal Linguistics at the 45th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea in Stockholm [August 31–September 1].
- On May 24, 2012, I presented Morphological Locality at the 20th Manchester Phonology Meeting. [handout] [poster]
- On May 5, 2012, I presented Autosegmental Phonology 2.0 at the 7th North American Phonology Conference (NAPhC7) in Montreal.
- On January 21, 2012, I presented Two types of parasitic assimilation at the 9th Old World Conference in Phonology (OCP9) in Berlin.
- I taught two courses (Intro to OT and Assimilation) at the 2011 EGG Summer School. The handouts are available here.
- My dissertation Feature Spreading 2.0: A Unified Theory of Assimilation is now available on Lingbuzz.
- My squib Disjunctive Lexical Stratification appeared in the Winter 2010 issue of Linguistic Inquiry.
- Currently I am teaching at this year's EGG Summer School [July 29–August 9]. Handouts available at the course website.
- In the Spring 2013 semester, I have been teaching a graduate course in Phonology at the University of Nova Gorica. More information is available at the course website (Slovenian).
- In the Fall 2013 semester, I will teach Phonology: Discovering Unique Patterns at Leiden University.
- In the Winter 2014 semester, I will teach LIN 229H1S Sound Patterns in Language and LIN 1224H1S Advanced Phonology IV at the University of Toronto.